Last Name: Norton
First Name: Nellie
Subject's City: Portland
Subject's State: ME
Subject's County: Cumberland
Subject's Country: United States
Photographer's City: Portland
Photographer's State: ME
Comments: Nellie Norton (Nee: ) | Portland ME United States | 1921-1940 | Comments: Nellie Norton, Nurse, circa 1935.
This photo is from the Ethel Wight Studio, Portland, Maine.
This negative envelope says, “Miss Nellie Norton, 139 Coyle St #612.”
What I found regarding this individual.
• The 1934 Portland City Directory lists Nellie Norton as a nurse employed at 231 Woodford and residing at 20 Norwood. There is also a Nellie C Norton living at 64 Danforth.
• The 1935 Portland City Directory lists Nellie I Norton as a dental assistant at 156 Free, room 49, residing at 92 High. The directory also lists Mrs. Lucretia W Spofford living at 139 Coyle St.
• The 1941 Portland City Directory lists Nellie Norton as a dental assistant residing at 92 High.
• The 1940 US Census does not appear to list Nellie. Living at 92 High is 51-year-old Nellie Naughton. Living with her are a sister, Mary (61) and a niece, Ann (20). Nellie is a receptionist at a doctor’s office.
• The 1940 US Census lists Nellie La Bonte, a 53-year-old Practical Nurse, living with her father, Harry H Norton, on Ridge Road in York, Maine. The 1930 Census also lists her as married to Alfred, living in York, Maine.
Going back to the 1934 Portland City Directory entry, 20 Norwood is the St. Barnabas Nurses’ Home.
The Nellie La Bonte (née Norton) of York was 43 years old in 1930.
Nellie Naughton, of 92 High Street is 41 years old in 1930.
The question arises if the woman in this photo, taken about 1935 in her mid to late 40s. I see the woman in the photo as being in her 20s. As such, I don’t believe it is either Nellie La Bonte or Nellie Naughton.
The 1930 Portland City directory does not include a Norton listed as a nurse. This photo could be of Nellie I Norton, a dental assistant in 1935, however, I’m not convinced. I believe this is Nellie Norton, a nurse at St. Barnabus Hospital in 1934, however, I’ve found no other information to identify Nellie.
Digital Image Only? YES
Everyone Listed In This Photo: